Ta strona używa cookies.

Jeśli nie chcesz, by pliki cookies były zapisywane na Twoim dysku zmień ustawienia swojej przeglądarki. Co to są pliki cookie?

Informacja Turystyczna Zgorzelca. www.it.zgorzelec.pl



Polski arrow Interesting Places arrow Interesting places in Goerlitz arrow Baroque House and Biblical House
Baroque House and Biblical House

   Baroque House (Barockhaus) and Biblical House (Biblisches Haus) at NeisstrasseBelow the Lower Market Square, at 30 Neifistrafie, there is the most famous Baroque house (Barockhaus) in Goerlitz. The building is distinguished by an ornamental facade, a rich portal and magnificent courtyard (originally much larger). It received its current shope in the years 1727-1729. The building was designed by a famous Saxon architect, Jan Frederic Karcher, for Christian Ameis, a merchant. In the years 1773-1803, the tenant was Frederic Gottlob Kober, a post office manager. In 1803, the building became the property of Karl Gottlob von Anton who donated it to the Upper Lusatian Scientific Society four years after (Anton was a co-founder and long-time secretary of the Society). The building was the headquarters of the Upper Lusatian Scientific Society (Oberlausitzische Geselschaft der Wis-senschaften) continuously until 1945. After the Second World War the Upper Lusatian Scientific Society was liquidated and resumed only in December 1990. Now the Baroque building at 30 Neifistr. houses the municipal museum (since 1951). One can admire here abundant collections of graphics and pictures, old furniture, porcelain and glass. The Physical Study Room with original apparatuses and equipment of Adolph Traugott von Gersdorf (1744-1807), "a learned man from Uniecice", who together with Anton established the Upper Lusatian Scientific Association in 1779, makes a great impression. One of the exhibitions is devoted to Jacob Bohme (1575-1624), a mystic and philosopher from Zgorzelec. In addition, this building houses a library with over 100 thousand volumes. Barockhaus neighbours the so-called Biblical House (Neifistr. 30), a Renaissance town-house built in 1570 by Hans Heinze, a dealer in madder. Its facade is adorned with bas-reliefs presenting scenes from the Old and New Testament. The Renaissance stone balustrade with characteristic figures of halberdiers, which is a part of the building, can be seen in the Kaisertrutz Museum.
 

Zgorzelec
© 2019 Informacja Turystyczna Zgorzelca