Ta strona używa cookies.

Jeśli nie chcesz, by pliki cookies były zapisywane na Twoim dysku zmień ustawienia swojej przeglądarki. Co to są pliki cookie?

Informacja Turystyczna Zgorzelca. www.it.zgorzelec.pl



Polski arrow Interesting Places arrow Interesting places in Goerlitz arrow St Michael's church and cementery
St Michael's church and cementery

St Michael's church has a distant Middle Age origin, as its beginnings date back to the turn of the 11th and 12th centuries. However, the first reference to the temple (which was wooden then) comes from 1298. In a document from 1298, it is referred to as a parish church (until 1372 the only parish church in Zgorzelec). In 1452, construction of a church made of brick was commenced. The end of the construction works and consecration of the temple took place only in 1520. In 1582, the building was covered by a new roof. The temple was consumed by fires in the years 1642 and 1717. Until 1925 there were no major alterations in the church that was rebuilt in the years 1717-1722. In 1786, a characteristic ave-bell was added only. The church has functioned as a cemetery chapel for many centuries. Nearby there is a cemetery where mortal remains of many deserving burghers from Zgorzelec rest. It is here that the graves of the famous mystic - Jacob Boehme (1575-1624), astronomer and cartographer- Bartholomew Scultetus (1540-1614), secretary of the Upper Lusatian Scientific Society - Karl Gottlob von Anton (1751-1818), a famous physician from Zgorzelec - Christian August Struve (1767-1807), as well as Minna Herzlieb (1789-1865), a friend of the great Goethe, who spent the last year of her life in Zgorzelec, are located.

Image 

 

Zgorzelec
© 2019 Informacja Turystyczna Zgorzelca